Tuesday, April 6, 2010



It was an amazing day in nature...
First stop was the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust to visit the feeding of the 21 orphaned elephants from the age of 2 weeks to 2 1/2 years.
The older elephants can take as many as three bottles (6 pints each) every three hours. I adopted Kimana (a male) for my niece Grace's Birthday. The $50 helps feed him for a few weeks a year and others will adopt him as well. Here is a photo of him taking his third bottle in less than two minutes!
I met his keeper and he showed me where they sleep together every night. In about a year, he will be taken to Masi Mara and become part of a herd.

After that my driver Peter (a Jami Bora taxi client) took me to Giraffe Manor.
Two orphaned giraffes were added to the 8 in the sanctuary so the guide said it was a difficult morning due to the new dynamic. It's good to know all families have interesting dynamics.

No comments:

Post a Comment